The village is accessed by a series of stone bridges and cobbled walkways: The first of these is named Pountea Nouaoua (New Bridge). A winding cobblestone path leads to the Fantanitsa fountain with its plane trees and delicate stonework. This fountain in turn leads to the second bridge, the Pountea Nik (old bridge) which spans the babbling Valea-mari brook. This traditional architecture, viewed in tandem with the old watermill and the spacious Ketrili-mari square, serves to convey intense, mixed emotions.
The elegant, exquisitely constructed Pountea Nouaoua (New Bridge) arched bridge, with its cobbled pavement and stone guardrails is the first of the two bridges encountered by visitors to the village, and spans the Tsases stream, which feeds into the Chrousias, a tributary of the Kalarrytikos River.
Ascending the winding cobblestone path which leads to the Fantanitsa fountain with its elegant stonework and shady plane trees, visitors encounter the second bridge, the Pountea Nik (Small Bridge), which spans the babbling Valea Mari brook. This bridge began to collapse in 1930 and fell into disuse until 1938, when the community decided to rebuild it. Reconstruction on the bridge was completed a few years after 1940. The organic synthesis of the natural environment's awe-inspiring rugged beauty and the wonderment of its transformation by man into a compelling, majestic vista provide, without fail, a warm welcome to visitors.
The Gkoura building
The Gkoura building, far from merely performing a function, also gives us an insight into the settlement's architectural style. To this day it remains the most impressive, exquisitely constructed building in the village. A technological marvel of its time, it lent its name to the entire neighborhood which later developed into the social, administrative and commercial center of the village. It is square-shaped and features tall, wide matching arches on three of its sides. Its northern flank features three built-in stone spouts. Above the arches, a sloped construction rises, supported by each side, culminating in a huge perfect circle. This circle's circumference is the base for the edifice's dome, which is made of a type of pumice stone known as Gigouara. According to tradition, it was named such because of its origin, having been mined from the mountain of the same name. The massive dome is exceptionally well-crafted, while its obtuse curvature is particularly impressive. The building's roof is similar to the roofs of other buildings in the village. It is a flawless edifice of notable beauty and harmony, unparalleled in engineering technique and stability, without garishness or redundant features. Mr. Christodoulos Michael, the researcher in charge of the "Democritus" institute's chronology department, calculated the edifice's age at 580 +- 130 years from the present day. According to this assessment, which was made on 23-4-2004, the "Gkoura"building was constructed in 1424, though the 130 year margin of error allows datings from 1294 to 1554.
The village center plays host to Statuary Square, a place where descendants can honor their ancestors. The square is dominated by the busts of Greece's first parliamentary Prime Minister, Ioannis Kolettis, and the poet Zalokostas as well as by memorials dedicated to the memory of those who fell in order to liberate Syrrako, on November 23rd, 1912.